What is SEO Strategy
It would be correct to consider that the term SEO strategies refers to a definition of marketing strategy, since the optimization of search engines is part of a marketing campaign.
After an edition, the definition of marketing strategy looked like this:
SEO strategy is a program of large-scale achievements of a company’s biggest SEO goals (positions, search traffic, attraction of the target audience, through search traffic).
The development of an SEO strategy involves the identification of the main objectives that the potential customers of the promoted site perceive, the selection of methods necessary to attract this audience, the determination of the time periods for the main events and the solution of financing problems. The SEO strategy is formed by analyzing competitor sites and source data from the promoted site.
Let’s talk about this in detail.
1. Why are SEO targets different: positions, traffic, targeted traffic?
Because different companies and project managers set different goals.
- For a company that wants its website to always be visible to users looking for a specific search query, the high positions in those keys will be relevant.
- A company that does not yet know which type of user will be converted into buyers will require as much search traffic as possible if possible from month to month.
- A company that knows exactly who buys its product / service will only see the percentage of conversions, in relation to the general search traffic and will thus determine the effectiveness of the SEO strategy that is being implemented.
2. Selecting a method necessary to attract the public may include an emphasis on expanding the site’s landing pages and an emphasis on building external links.
3. Determination of time periods. An important indicator for the website owner, who must realize when it is better to have the necessary amount of search traffic, taking this into account in financial activities. In addition it is useful for SEO experts to understand whether they fit the designated planning or not. And if not, what other measures can be taken to achieve the desired result.
4. The question of financing is also important for the website owner, as well as the term. After all, an SEO promotion often lasts for months. Therefore, the return on investment is not fast.
Why do we need an SEO strategy?
Experienced experts understand that a plan as complex as an SEO strategy is not always necessary.
The SEO strategy is necessary when:
- The website owner has ambitious goals to conquer the global market.
- The niche you want to work in is incredibly competitive, and you need to understand how to get to the top.
- The website is very large and all types of pages and work on the website cannot be kept in mind.
The SEO strategy is not necessary when:
- You are promoting a small regional website and competing only with small businesses. In that case, use a strategy that is already being practiced.
- There are not enough resources to implement it. It happens when you are working alone and there is hardly anyone to help.
- There is only a minimum budget for links and their ideas.
- You promote the site using Black Hat SEO, in which case only outbound links from other resources are important (although in a way Black Hat is a simpler SEO strategy).
First of all, the website promotion strategy is necessary to determine and systematize the work that must be done by the SEO Specialist or instructed by someone on the team to eventually achieve the necessary results.
Types of SEO Strategies
Unfortunately, we have not found a clear ranking of SEO strategies.
We found several articles on the topic of building an SEO strategy on the internet, in most of them the classification of species is divided into the type of website for which we are building and the development plan.
But we are inclined to divide the types of strategies by combining two parameters: the current state of the site and the tasks that are placed before the specialist who promotes the site. So we divide the strategies into these types:
Type 1. “Pula-Pula” strategy
This promotion plan is relevant to websites that are being created (or have already been created, but have a small number of pages), but the specialist’s goal is to constantly and rapidly increase search traffic. That’s why you do everything fast (pogo stick).
Characteristics of the “pogo stick” strategy:
- Analyze competitors and look for the most profitable strategies in order to attract traffic in the shortest possible time.
- Creation of as many landing pages as possible (these can be service pages and blog pages) and their constant generation.
- We do not place much emphasis on the quality of the content (but we try to do it while fulfilling a minimum of necessary search engine requirements), but we do increase the number of entry points to the site.
- We have increased the referral mass of various resources to cover as many links as possible and show search engines that we have ambitious prospects and goals.
Cons of the strategy:
- In pursuit of quantity, we neglect quality. But this negative point can be corrected in the future, after the “bounce” strategy, we turn to the “media performer” strategy.
- Thanks to the poor quality of the landing pages and the lack of focus on the topics (blog pages can include both articles strictly on the resource topic and related topics), a low conversion rate is possible. But this can be corrected if a team, which is working with you, performs an a / b test and squeezes out as much traffic as possible.
Type 2. “Average Performance” strategy
This strategy is suitable for sites that have not been in the market for a day / year, and are somewhere in the top 10/20 and have enough competence to compete for the top places. The goals here are: to increase brand power and attract more targeted search leads. This is a great way to develop the previous “bounce” strategy.
Characteristic of the “Average Performance” Strategy:
- Pay more attention to existing pages, optimize them, rewrite and add new ones. Exclude pages that are traffic-free and don’t exactly match the topic of the resource.
- Try to get better links from other sites, as your site is no longer a newbie, but a good page of average performance.
- Create only new quality content that shows your knowledge, which leads to confidence and better conversion.
Cons of the strategy
- Too much time spent creating content.
- The advance process and two to three times is greater than in the previous strategy. You will not see quick results.
- You will probably have to shell out better and therefore expensive backlinks from other sites.
Type 3. Mastodon strategy
This SEO strategy is suitable for leading websites. They only compete with 2 or 3 of the same “Mastodons” that have been on the market for decades. A battalion of employees is working on each of these projects, so the goals for the specialist here will be: to advance better than the competitors and to seek out hidden points in the Top 1, ahead of the competitors, even for different keyword positions – keys.
Characteristics of the Mastodon Strategy
- Mastodon does not have to worry about increasing the referral mass – it grows on its own because many sites refer to its materials.
- Because of the references that go back to the foreground, the work of the site itself comes to the fore. This may be due to long operations with internal linking and working with content on the site. Work on the website may continue indefinitely.
- It is not enough to simply write high quality content; you need to start thinking about writing unusual content, different from your competitors. These can be new types of presentation of materials (videos, infographics, multimedia) and the creation of collections of documents on certain topics to cover them as much as possible.
- A little time for external links, however, is worth it. But in a way that the search for resources mentions your site, but don’t have (or don’t follow) the link to your source. To do this, contact the person responsible for this resource and politely request an active link. This can be done not by the SEO expert, but by an assistant.
Cons of the Strategy
- It needs sufficient resources for its implementation. Newbies are often unable to cope with this strategy.
Type 4. Online store strategy
We select this type of site separately, as its way of promoting itself differs from the previous three. That’s why.
Characteristics of Online Store Promotion Strategies:
- Due to the large number of pages on the site, the main point of this strategy is the adequate collection of semantics and the writing of meta and SEO texts .
- For semantics, you will see some filter pages open for the index to attract micro low frequencies.
- The link is equally important because you will need to constantly bring new products to the index that will be added to the site. And with a large number of categories and subcategories, this task becomes more complicated.
- Revisions play an important role in online stores: trust in the seller, behavioral factors and additional text with keys that make your products unique.
- External links need to be built after the first internal optimization work has been done and when the site has already occupied some positions in the search results . Your task is to pull up what is not yet at the top.
Cons of the Strategy
- The number of pages can be a negative aspect because you will need to pay a lot of external links for this.
- There are internal problems more common to this type of platform: 1) when updating products, old pages are deleted, 404 pages appear in their place and the same product is created by a new URL . 2) Duplicate pages appear when goods differ only in color, among other insignificant elements, etc.
As you can see, this is not only a strategy, but also a feature of working on sales websites.
Based on what data you need to build an SEO strategy
The strategy is not just an expert’s experience, which is put in your head, but the numbers and characteristics of a specific niche on which the site is centered.
Therefore, we need the following data:
- Semantic nucleus (Including analysis of the competitors’ nucleus). After collecting the kernel, we need to find out what types of queries are available on this topic, their frequency and an approximate competitor. From this, we can learn: are there requests for information on this topic that can lead to conversion? How popular these requests for information are to help calculate future traffic; how competitive these requests are to calculate the budget for the promotion.
- Analysis of the size and time of competitors’ websites. This will give us an understanding of the quality of the features that we should highlight, and additional information about niche competition (which affects the budget). For example: if you find that, with your industry competitors, it is not enough to write articles on your blog, but to include your own infographics, exclusive designs and multimedia elements, then you will have to pay a good designer or video editor in addition to an intelligent copywriter .
- Analysis of the competitors’ promotion strategy. Based on this data, we can understand what our opponents lack and what we can use. For example, if you notice that competitors are mainly promoted by service pages, and this niche has a lot of information requests, then you can ignore them by creating and filling out a blog.
- Analysis of the mass of competitors’ connections. The quality and quantity of the link mass will give a greater understanding of the cost of purchasing the link. In addition, you will understand which type of link is best for you to use (for example, catalog links or blog comments or article links that are placed directly in contact with webmasters). Our SEO tool LinkStrategy will help you find the most valuable links, depending on your competitors’ backlink profiles.
All of this data will provide us with more precious details about:
1. The size of the site, which is necessary to reach the TOP.
2. The types of pages on that site
3. The budget for website development
4. The budget for building links
5. Traffic, what you can expect month by month.
6. Terms for receiving this traffic and launching the project in the steady growth stage.
How to build an SEO strategy (step by step guide)
Let’s look in detail at the “Media performer” strategy.
A website that is already 5 years old; some MF and some HF queries already put you in the Top 20, among the Top 10/20; the website offers legal advisory services in several fields; the site covers service pages and a blog, which are very interesting, but not optimized, and which do not work until the end of an article; traffic growth is very slow; the task is to accelerate growth and outperform the closest competitors.
The preparatory process for building an SEO strategy
This point is necessary for any strategy. You just can’t start doing something on the site if you don’t already have ready-made semantics and an idea of which keywords already have landing pages and which ones have not yet been created or corrected. Therefore, we collect a semantic core for the main pages (main page and service page) with commercial keywords first, and then start collecting information requests strictly according to the subject in the resource.
Don’t forget to “spy” on the competitors’ landing page. We may find some interesting keys that they have on service pages or blogs.
Internal Audit and writing of goals and texts-SEO
After collecting the semantics, we compose a table with new goals for all the pages of the site (we cannot change the technical pages if everything is tolerable there). We are developing technical tasks for new SEO texts, if necessary (often they are not). It is necessary to review all existing texts (including the blog) and decide whether you need to rewrite them from scratch or you can simply add keywords (without spam). If there are many pages on the blog, this step will be postponed for a month or two, without postponing the implementation of review audits.
Looking for and describing all technical or other errors in detail on the website itself, we have defined a way to resolve for those responsible (webmaster, content manager, administrator, etc.) in the audit file
It is time to observe those with whom we will compete. Pay attention to the semantics (as described above), age, reference profile, “entry points” of the survey, quality of the content (what we can improve)
Do not be fooled by many links from competitors, if any, because sometimes you will be able to overcome them and even be “driven”. Just do your job better than them.
Also, see the link they use (directories, comments, article links, press releases, spam). On your website, you should place links mainly from articles, and this analysis will help you to understand the quality of your competitors’ linking mass.
After this analysis and with the semantics already collected, we move on to the next step.
Predicting traffic and increasing call mass
Give yourself a year (for more advanced strategies two years) and calculate the following for that period:
- The monthly amount of search traffic (of course, approximate amount). It is important to be realistic and not expect a 30% increase month by month. Even a 10% monthly growth is a very optimistic forecast (unless the site is new). Better to underestimate your access expectations. Take seasonality into account.
- The number of outbound links per month that you want to attract to your site to keep up with competitors. If your competitors have a lot of links and you don’t get as many, just calculate the percentage increase in link mass from month to month over the total number of links and try to increase participation by the same percentage. It is always best to overestimate the number of links needed to try to build more.
- The amount of money you need month to month to build the bond mass. If you have contractors that switch links (or stock exchanges), find out the average cost of links of this quality and add 30%. Then, you can also overestimate expectations, but there is less chance of having a budget overload (which is not easy to reconcile with management). A major advantage will be if you make two plans: one for you, a second for the board.
Write in detail for yourself, which links with which anchors and which pages you will place, how many orders will be in the Top 3, Top 5 and Top 10 and what percentage of conversion (visits to the site) they will bring.
In the management plan, describe only the monthly traffic from month to month and the budget for each month.
SEO strategy implementation
This step is also part of the strategy. Planning is great, but you should implement it in life. Verification of the correctness of the review implementation according to the audits.
Yes, this needs to be verified. Because you cannot trust anyone (not even you), otherwise it will be unpleasant when you promote a page on which you have not written the necessary Tags goals .
Increase bond mass
Well, if you have a link builder on the team, or you have prudently budgeted employee services, then you can make a detailed plan and describe what links you need, from websites, from what subject, to which pages and with which anchors.
If there is no such person on the team it will be bad, as it will be a job for you to do. Let’s move on: contact our contractors and ask them for sites that meet our criteria, or write directly to the owners of interesting sites and negotiate. Set aside about 3-4 hours of working time for this activity.
Improve and create new content for the site
This internship is best divided into two sub-steps: correcting existing content and collecting semantics and writing technical tasks.
To expand the number of keywords on the page, use our professional keyword planner tool . To edit existing content use the Backlink content relaunch guide correctly. You can also add images or infographics, add videos, make a comparative table based on the text, highlight important quotes, head a few paragraphs and make the text more attractive to read.
New content must be created considering the competitor’s strategy, just do better than him.
Check the current state of affairs and the planned
Didn’t you forget the traffic plan and the increase link, which we described in the preparatory phase? This must be postponed.
Periodically (preferably once a month), it is necessary to compare the figures and the expected results (by traffic and links) with the real ones. And if you are late, then you need to examine where you have failed (you may have to increase your budget or write new content more often).
This process of implementing SEO strategy will take many months, during which you should improve your website and outperform your competitors.